Why is Alcohol forbidden in Islam? From time immemorial, ‘alcohol’ has been identified as a cause of intense suffering for humanity. Alcohol is the cause of countless premature deaths and the terrible misery of billions of people around the world. The real reason behind the innumerable problems in human society is this ‘alcohol’. The rising tide of crime, the growing psychological turmoil, and the billions of broken families are living proofs of how alcoholism is being wiped out worldwide.
The Qur’an forbids drinking alcohol
O you who believe! Alcohol and gambling, dice games, and archery are the worst forms of the devil. Avoid these so that you can move forward on the path of progress (humanity). (5:90)
They ask you (O Muhammad, peace be upon him) concerning alcoholic drink and gambling. Say: “In them is a great sin, and (some) benefit for men, but the sin of them is greater than their benefit.” ([Al-Qur’ an 2:219)
Alcohol disturbs the conscience
There is a center of thought in the human brain. This center of thought prevents people from doing things that they consider evil. Such a person usually uses disrespectful language when talking to his parents and elders. If he ever has to respond to a natural call (toilet urine), his consideration center will prevent him from doing so in public. For this, he uses secret places.
When a person drinks alcohol, this thinking center of his brain becomes paralyzed (that is, he is prevented from working on his own). Abnormal behavior is seen in a person who is drunk. This is the exact reason. Such a drunken man is seen to speak disrespectfully, even if he continues to talk to his parents. Because then he is not able to realize this mistake. Many people get drunk and urinate on their clothes. Neither can he speak properly, nor can he walk straight.
Prohibition of alcohol in Hadith
The Prophet (peace be upon him) said:
1. Alcohol is the mother (source) of all evils and obscenities and it is the most shameful of all evils. Sunam Ibn Majah: Chapter 30. Hadith No. 3371.
2. All that intoxicates in large quantities is forbidden (haram). Even if it is taken in small amounts. So there is no discount in this case. It’s a drum or a drum.
3. Narrated Aisha: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: May Allaah curse the ten classes of people who are involved in alcohol.
- Those who make it
- For whom it is made
- Those who drink it.
- Those who carry it from one place to another
- For whom it is brought
- Those who serve it.
- Those who sell it
- Those who use the money earned from selling it
- Those who buy it and
- Those who buy it for someone else.
All the diseases that alcoholics suffer from
The origins of a number of diseases have become clear to medical science, usually affecting alcoholics. Alcohol is one of the leading causes of death in the world. Millions of people are forced to leave the world prematurely just because of alcohol. Here is a shortlist of some of the most well-known diseases that usually affect alcoholics:
- 1) Dryness and hardening of the liver. Which is known as liver cirrhosis.
- 2) Cancer of the gastrointestinal tract and cancer of the head, throat, liver, and feces.
- 3) Inflammation of the pancreas and liver.
- 4) All diseases related to heart function or heartbeat, hypertension.
- 5) All diseases of the blood vessels in the heart, inflammation of the esophagus, and cardiac arrest.
- 6) Paralysis, monastic disease, and another paralysis.
- 6) All diseases of the nerves and brain.
There are many more like this – it is very difficult to name them in Bengali. That is why the list is ended here.
Drug addiction is a disease
- Medical scientists have now reached a final conclusion about alcoholics. They no longer call it intoxication, they say it is a disease in itself. The Islamic Research Foundation has released a poster saying that if alcoholism is a disease, it is the only disease in the world that is sold in beautiful bottles.
- It is advertised in newspapers and radio and television.
- Imports revenue for the government.
- Death brings the public to the streets.
- Family life is the real cause of destruction and crime.
Alcohol is not just a disease – it is the work of the devil
Allah (SWT) has warned us about this tempting trap of Satan’s leaf in the Qur’an, His best grace for mankind. That is why the way of life prescribed in the Qur’an is called ‘Deenul Fitrah’ or the natural way of life of man is called ‘Islam’. The real purpose of all its prohibitions is to protect human nature from all evils. Alcohol does not allow people to stand on their own two feet. This is as true for an individual as it is for a larger society. It brings man down to the level of an animal while man claims that he is the best of creation. After all, alcohol is completely forbidden in Islam.