In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful. All praise and thanks are due to Allah, and peace and blessings be upon His Messenger
There are people and groups, who claim to be Muslim because either they were told or they were born in a Muslim home or they have a Muslim name. However, in order for someone to be a Muslim, he/she must believe in 7 essentials of eman and if he/she doesn’t believe in any one of them, he/she is not a Muslim.
1. Oneness of Allah(Tawhid)- One must believe that there is only one Allah. One must not only believe in his heart or say by his tongue but must practice Allah’s commandments. He /she should worship Him alone and should not associate partners with Allah in His names and attributes. One should not fear anyone except Allah in public and in private. One should not pray/make dua for anything to anyone dead or alive not even to or through our Prophet (PBUH). Associating partners with Allah is the greatest sin in Islam and it’ll not be forgiven if one dies in that state.
2. Angels- One must believe in the existence of Angels and that they were created from light and they will never DISOBEY Allah.
3. Revelations-To believe in all the revelations/books sent down by Allah such as Zabur to Prophet Dawood, Torah to Prophet Musa, Injeel(Gospel) to Prophet Esa and Qur’an to Prophet Mohammad (Peace be upon them all)
4. Prophets- One must believe in all the Prophets that Allah sent, namely Adam, Nuh, Ibraheem, Musa, Esa and Mohammad (peace be upon them). One must, also, believe that Prophet Mohammad (PBUH) is the FINAL PROPHET. All Prophets, before Prophet Mohammad (PBUT), came for a specific time, for a specific place and for specific people, but Prophet Mohammad(PBUH) came for all the time, all the places and for all mankind until the Day of Judgment.
5. Day of Judgment- One must believe that there will be a day of Judgment and that on that day, everyone will be questioned about his/her deeds in this world.
6. Pre-destination- One must believe that everything in our lives, either good or bad has been decreed by Allah. Allah says in the Qur’an “ No disaster strikes upon the earth or among yourselves except that it is in a register before We bring it into being – indeed that, for Allah, is easy”(57:22)
7. Next Life-One must believe that there will be the next life.
Lastly, I request the readers to check their own beliefs and correct them if they are not according to the above believes before the time comes to leave this world.
Source: Minhaj Al Muslim by Sheikh Abu Bakr Jabir Al Jazairy.
Urdu Translation by Maulana Mohammad Rafiq Al Athry