List of Hadiths on the virtue of reciting the Holy Quran.
1) It is narrated on the authority of Abu Umamah ( may Allah be pleased with him ) that he said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him) say, “Read the Qur’an. Because, on the Day of Resurrection, the Qur’an will come as an intercessor for its readers. [Muslim 804]
2) Narrated Uthman Ibn Affan : The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him ) said: “The greatest of you is he; One who learns the Qur’an himself and teaches others. ” [Bukhari 5027]
3) It is narrated on the authority of Ayesha (RA) that she said: The Messenger of Allah (saw) said: And for the person who (due to lack of proper memorization) recites the Qur’an and finds it difficult to read, there are two rewards. ” (One is recitation and the other is suffering). [Bukhari 4937, Muslim 798]
4)Narrated Abu Musa Al-Ash`ari: The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “The example of him (a believer) who recites the Qur’an is like that of a citron which tastes good and smells good. And he (a believer) who does not recite the Qur’an is like a date which is good in taste but has no smell. And the example of a dissolute wicked person who recites the Qur’an is like the Raihana (sweet basil) which smells good but tastes bitter. And the example of a dissolute wicked person who does not recite the Qur’an is like the colocynth which tastes bitter and has no smell. ” [Bukhari 5020, Muslim 797]
5) ‘Umar bin Al-Khattab (ra 🙂 narrated that the Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him 🙂 said, ‘ This is the Book of Allah (Quran) by (his virtues) by the population, and therefore raises (hear) the other group led to the collapse of ”. [Muslim 817]
6) Narrated by Abdullah Ibn Umar (RA): The Prophet (SAW) said: “It is perfect for two to have dawn. (1) Whomsoever Allah has given the Qur’an (power to memorize), so he reads and acts upon it (in the light) day and night. (2) He to whom Allah has given wealth, and he spends day and night. [Bukhari 5025]
7)Narrated Al-Bara’: A man was reciting Surat Al-Kahf and his horse was tied with two ropes beside him. A cloud came down and spread over that man, and it kept on coming closer and closer to him till his horse started jumping (as if afraid of something). When it was morning, the man came to the Prophet and told him of that experience. The Prophet (ﷺ) said, “That was As-Sakina (tranquility) which descended because of (the recitation of) the Qur’an.” [Bukhari 5011, Muslim 795]
8) It is narrated on the authority of ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud ( may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him ) said: “Whoever reads a letter from the Book of Allah (the Qur’an) will have a virtue.” And one virtue is equal to ten virtues. I am not saying that ‘Alif-Lam-Meem’ is a letter; Rather, Alif is one color, Lam is one color, Meem is one color. ” (That is, ‘Alif-Lam-Meem’ is made up of three letters, the number of virtues of which will be thirty.) [Tirmidhi 2910, Hasan]
9) Narrated ‘Abdullah bin ‘Amr: that the Prophet (ﷺ) said: It shall be said – meaning to the one who memorized the Qur’an – ‘Recite, and rise up, recite (melodiously) as you would recite in the world. For indeed your rank shall be at the last Ayah you recited.’” [ Tirmidhi 2914 Hasan]
It is instructed to read the Qur’an carefully and not to forget it
1)Abu Musa al-Ash’ari reported Allah’s Apostle (ﷺ) as saying: Keep refreshing your knowledge of the Qur’an, for I swear by Him in Whose Hand is the life of Muhammad that it is more liable to escape than camels which are hobbled. [Muslim 791]
2)Narrated Ibn `Umar: Allah Messenger (ﷺ) said, “The example of the person who knows the Qur’an by heart is like the owner of tied camels. If he keeps them tied, he will control them, but if he releases them, they will run away.” [Sahih Bukhari 5031]
It is mustahabb to recite the Qur’an in a melodious voice. Appeal to the sweet-voiced reader to read it and listen to it attentively
1)Narrated Abu Huraira: that he heard the Prophet (ﷺ) saying, “Allah does not listen to anything as He listens to the recitation of the Qur’an by a Prophet who recites it in attractive audible sweet sounding voice.” [Sahih Bukhari 7544]
There is an indication in the revelation of Allah that He is pleased with that recitation and accepts it.
2)Narrated Abu Musa: That the Prophet (ﷺ) said to him’ “O Abu Musa! You have been given one of the mazamir (sweet melodious voices) of the family of David.'” [Sahihul Bukhari 5048].
3)Adi reported: I heard al-Bara’ narrating it from the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) that while in a journey he said the night prayer and recited in one of the two Rak’ ahs:” By the Fig and the Olive” (Muslim 464]
4) It is narrated on the authority of Abu Lubbah Bashir bin Abdul Munzir that once the Prophet (peace be upon him ) said to him: “He who does not recite the Qur’an in a sweet voice is not one of us.” (That is, outside of our way and principles). [Abu Dawud 1471]
5)It is narrated on the authority of ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ud ( may Allah be pleased with him) thathe said: The Messenger of Allah (may peace be upon him ) said: “O Ibn Mas’ud, recite to me the Qur’an.” I said, ‘O Messenger of Allah! I will read it to you, but it is revealed to you. He said, “I love hearing from others (reading the Qur’an).” So I started reciting Surah An-Nisa ‘in front of him, when I came across this verse (41) which means, “What will happen to them when I bring a witness from every community and I bring you as their witness?” Then he said, “Enough, stop now.” Then I look back at her, her eyes twinkling with tears. [Sahih al-Bukhari 4474]
It is mustahabb to gather for recitation of the Qur’an
It is narrated on the authority of Abu Hurairah that the Messenger of Allah , may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said: Peace descends on them, and His mercy covers them, and the angels surround them. Allah Himself discusses their matter with the angels before Him. “ [Muslim 2699]
Read Next: Hadith about Beneficial knowledge