Some Facts about the Day of Jummah. Friday or Jummah is an important day of the week for Muslims. The literal meaning of Jummah (Friday) is the congregation. On the day of Jummah, Muslims offer Jummah prayer and for this prayer, a special time is taken. The day of Jummah has many religious significances and virtues associated with it. Jummah prayer is obligatory for every man except the sick, child, slave, and woman. On the day of Jummah Muslims gathered at the mosque in order to offer Friday prayer. Importance of Jummah is stated in one of the hadith of our beloved Prophet Muhammad (PBUH): “There is an hour on Friday and if a Muslim gets it while offering Salat and asks something from Allah Almighty, then Allah will definitely fulfill his demands and Prophet Muhammad (SAW) pointed out the shortness of that particular time with his hands.” (Bukhari)
The importance of Friday (Jummah) can be understood by the fact that there is a complete Surah in the Holy Quran named after the day of Jummah. Allah Almighty says in the Holy Quran in these words: “O you who believe! When the call is proclaimed for Jummah (Friday prayer), come fast to the remembrance of Allah”(Quran, 62: 9). As we also mentioned above that Muslims gather on Friday in mosques to pray Jummah prayer collectively in the congregation. Before starting the prayer the orator delivers a speech, which is called “Friday Sermon” or“Khutbah”. The orator admonishes people and gives lessons about religious matters and affairs in the Friday sermon. In another hadith Holy Prophet (SAW) said: “The best day the sun rises over is Friday; on it Allah created Adam. On it, he was made to enter paradise, on it he was expelled from it, and the Last Hour will take place on no other day than Friday.”(At-Tirmidhi)
Some facts about the Day of Jummah
Friday or Jummah is considered the most important day of the week also known as the master of the week. Below we will discuss some virtues and facts about the day of Jummah or Friday.
- On the day of Jummah Muslims offer the congregational prayer which is an obligatory act in Islam and one of the greatest gatherings of Muslims.
- The day of Jummah includes an hour during which all supplications are accepted. Abu Hurairah (RA) narrated that the Messenger of Allah Holy Prophet (PBUH) said: “On the day of Jummah is an hour during which Allah Almighty gives to a Muslim servant standing in prayer whatever he asks for.” (Muslim)
- It is forbidden to fast on this day unless one observes fast a day before or after it. Holy Prophet (PBUH) said: “None of you should observe fast on Friday unless he observes fast a day before or after it.” (Al-Bukhari)
- One should give charity on the day of Jummah (Friday) because giving charity during this day is more virtuous than any other day.
- One should do good deeds on the virtuous day of Friday.
- Sins are expiated on the day of Jummah. Holy Prophet (SAW) said in hadith: “Whoever takes a bath on a Friday and does it well, and purifies himself and does it well, and puts on his best clothes, and puts on whatever Allah decrees for him of the perfume of his family, then comes to the mosque and does not engage in idle talk or separate (pushing between) two people; he will be forgiven for (his sins) between that day and the previous Friday.”(Ibn Majah)
- When walking to attend the Friday sermon, a Muslim gets the reward of both praying Qiyaam(i.e., the night prayer) and fasting a full year.
- Hell is fired-up during every day of the week except Friday, as a mark of honor and respect for the day of Jummah.
- Listening to the Khutbah or Friday Sermon before the Jummah prayer is highly bounteous and obligatory for every Muslim.
- Every one of us should send lots of Durood on Prophet Muhammad (SAW). It is the most superior way of getting closer to Almighty Allah.
- One should recite Surah Al-Kahf on the day of Jummah.
- Make lots of Duas on this blessing day of Friday (Jummah) as Allah (SWT) will surely grant them. But we must remember that Allah Almighty accepts those Duas which are best for us.
In short, the day of Jummah or Friday is the blessed day of the week we should try to spend it the way Allah Almighty mentioned in the Holy Quran, and also we should try to perfect our Friday prayers according to Sunnah ways of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (SAW).