Have you ever heard the term Istikhara prayer and did not know the Rules of Istikhara Prayer. If you are that person then read the full article.
Meaning of the word Istekhara: The word Istekhara is Arabic. The lexical meaning is to seek welfare in certain matters.
In Islamic terminology: “ Two rakat prayer and special dua to hope for the mind to run to the subject of Allah Ta’ala. That is, Istekhara is the name of seeking help from Allah through two rak’ats of Salat and Istikhara Dua in which of the two matters will be more beneficial. [Ibn Hazar, Fath al-Bari Sharhu Sahih Bukhari]
Ruling on istikhara: It is sunnah. Which is proved by the hadith of Sahih Bukhari.
When to do istikhara?
Sometimes people feel hesitate to make decision. Because no one knows where his welfare lies. Therefore, in order to reach the right decision, one has to seek the help of Allah, the Creator of the heavens and the earth, who has complete knowledge of all things past-present-future, in whose hands are the keys of all good and evil. As if he were to fix his mind on something that would benefit him. So that he does not have to regret it later. For example, marriage, job, travel, etc. are to be proclaimed.
Shaykhul Islam Ibn Taymiyyah said. He said: “The person will not regret when he seeks refuge in Allah and making a decision in consultation with the people and sticking to it. ”
Allaah says ( interpretation of the meaning): “ And consult with people in matters of decision. Then put your trust in Allah. Allah loves those who trust. [ Surah Al ‘Imran: 159 ]
Qatadah ( Rah 🙂 said: ” When people consult with each other for the purpose of Allah Ta’ala satisfaction, Allah Ta’ala gives them the tawfiq to reach the most correct decision. ”
Imam Nawbi Rah. He said: “In addition to praying to Allah Ta’ala, it is necessary to take the advice of good people with experience. Because human knowledge-glory is imperfect. Creatively he is weak. So when he has more than one subject in front of him, he is hesitant about what to do or not to do, or what to decide. ”
Rules for Istikhara Prayer:
1) One has to perform ablution like the ablution of prayer.
2) Two rak’ats of prayer are to be performed for the purpose of istikhara In this case, the Sunnah is to recite Qul ya-ayyuhal kafirun after Surah Fatihah in the first rak’ ah and Qul Huwallahu Ahad after Surah Fatihah in the second rak’ ah.
3) Recite the following dua after returning the salaam of the prayer and praising Allah with utmost humility and offering Durood on the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him):
اللَّهُمَّ إنِّي أَسْتَخِيرُكَ بِعِلْمِكَ , وَأَسْتَقْدِرُكَ بِقُدْرَتِكَ , وَأَسْأَلُكَ مِنْ فَضْلِكَ الْعَظِيمِ فَإِنَّكَ تَقْدِرُ وَلا أَقْدِرُ , وَتَعْلَمُ وَلا أَعْلَمُ , وَأَنْتَ عَلامُ الْغُيُوبِ اللَّهُمَّ إنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ هَذَا الأَمْرَ (………) خَيْرٌ لِي فِي دِينِي وَمَعَاشِي وَعَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِي) أَوْقَالَ : عَاجِلِأَمْرِيوَآجِلِهِ) فَاقْدُرْهُ لِي وَيَسِّرْهُ لِي ثُمَّ بَارِكْ لِي فِيهِ , اللَّهُمَّ وَإِنْ كُنْتَ تَعْلَمُ أَنَّ هَذَا الأَمْرَ(………) شَرٌّ لِي فِي دِينِي وَمَعَاشِي وَعَاقِبَةِ أَمْرِي (أَوْقَالَ : عَاجِلِأَمْرِيوَآجِلِهِ) فَاصْرِفْهُ عَنِّي وَاصْرِفْنِي عَنْهُ وَاقْدُرْ لِي الْخَيْرَ حَيْثُ كَانَ ثُمَّ ارْضِنِي بِهِ (……).
Narrated from Hazrat Jabir (RA). He said that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) used to teach us about istikhara in every way in the same way as he used to teach Surahs of the Qur’aan. He used to say that when anyone of you does something, he should perform two rakat Nafl Prayer, then he should recite:
Allahumma inni astakhiruka bi’ilmika, wa astaqdiruka bi-qudratika, wa asaluka min fadlikal ‘azeem. Fa innaka taqdiru wa laa aqdiru, wa ta’lamu wa laa a’lamu, wa anta ‘allaamul ghuyoob. Allaahumma in kunta ta’lamu anna hazal amra (and he names his intended affair) huwa khayrun lee fee deenee wa ma’aashee, wa ‘aqibati amree wa ajilihi wa ajilihi, faqdurhu li wa yassirhu lee, summa barik lee feeh. Wa in kunta ta’lamu anna hazal amara huwa sharrun lee fee deeni wa ma’aashee, wa ‘aaqibati amree wa ajilihi wa ajilihi, fasrifhu ‘annee wasrifnee ‘anhu, waqdur liyal khayra haysu kan, summa raddini bih.
‘O Allaah, I ask You TO CHOOSE FOR ME with Your knowledge and DECREE FOR ME with Your Might, and I ask You of Your great favor. Indeed, You decree and I do not, and You know and I do not; You surely are the Knower of all that is hidden. O Allaah, if You know that this affair (and he names it) is good for me in regard to my religion, my living, and its outcome–both immediate and future, decree it, facilitate it and then bless it for me. And if You know that this affair is harmful to me in regard to my religion, my living, and its outcome–both immediate and future, divert it from me and divert me from it, and decree for me good wherever it may be, and then make me content by it.’
“O Allah, in your knowledge this deed (refer to your deed here) is my religion from the point of view of my life and work (or he said the following words – one deed is better in this world and in the hereafter) but give me the strength to do it. On the other hand, in your knowledge of this work (refer to your own work here) if my religion is bad from the point of view of my life and work (or, as he said, from the point of view of this world and the hereafter), then turn my mind away from this. Take his thoughts away from my heart. And judge for me wherever it is good for me, and satisfy me with it. (Then he will express his needs.) (Bukhari)
There are two ways to reach the right conclusion in any task:
Firstly: Praying for the welfare of Allah Almighty through the prayer of Istikharah. Because, he knows best about the past, present, and future. He knows best where and in what way the welfare of the people lies.
Second: Accepting the advice of experienced, trustworthy, and knowledgeable people. Allaah says ( interpretation of the meaning ): “Consult them in making decisions. [ Surah Al ‘Imran: 159 ]
Advice before Istekhara prayer?
There is disagreement among the scholars in this regard. The most accurate, however, is that of Allama Muhammad bin Salih al-Isa’imin, who predominated in Riyadus Salihin’s commentary. That is, the prayer of Istikhara must be performed first. This is because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “If anyone of you intends to do something, let him perform the two rakat prayer.” Here the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to perform the first salat al-istikharah.
Here are some important things to keep in mind in the context of Istikhara:
1) It is better to develop the habit of doing istikhara in all matters big and small.
2) Believe firmly that your well-being lies in what Allah has given you to do. So pray to Him with a steady heart and remembering the greatness and greatness of Allah.
3) If there is no urgent or urgent need to refrain from performing Salatul Istikharah at all times when it is forbidden to offer ordinary Nafl prayers. However, if there is a hurry, it can be read even during the forbidden times.
4) Women should refrain from performing Salatul Istikhara during menstrual bleeding or childbirth. However, in this case, only the prayer of Istikhara can be recited without praying.
5) If the prayer of Istikhara is not memorized, there is no difficulty in reading it. But it is better to try to memorize.
6)It is not necessary to dream about his goal after Istikhara. One can know the right thing through dreams and in addition to the dream, interest or disinterest in that work can be created in the mind.
7) When you come to a decision on the matter, rely on Allah and move forward firmly. Do not lag behind or suffer from an inferiority complex. Allaah says ( interpretation of the meaning): “ And put your trust in Allaah when you have decided. [ Surah Al ‘Imran: 159 ]
8) It is permissible to recite the Salatul Istikharah more than once if one cannot reach the right conclusion even after reciting it.
9) Make sure that no extra words are added or omitted from the supplication of Istikhara. Instead, try to read the words in the hadith properly.
10)Take the advice of an experienced, honest, and trustworthy person on the subject you want to decide on. At the same time perform Salatul Istikhara.
11. One person will not be able to perform Salatul Istikhara on behalf of another. But in general, he can pray for her welfare. For example, parents can pray for the welfare of their child outside the prayers or in the supererogatory prayers while prostrating and after reciting the Durood of Tashahhud.
12) Question: Is it enough to do Istikhara once for more than one subject or do it separately for each subject?
Answer: It is better to do Istikhara separately for each job. However, it will be enough to do Istikhara once and do all the things in Dua.
13. It is not permissible to perform istikhara in unjust or haraam deeds or even in makrooh deeds.
Statements of some scholars regarding Rules of Istikhara Prayer:
1) Saad Ibn Abi Waqqas. He said: “It is a blessing for the children of Adam to pray to Allah. In the same way, they are happy to be satisfied with God’s judgment. On the other hand, it is the misfortune of the children of Adam not to submit to Allah, and similarly, it is their misfortune to be dissatisfied with Allah’s judgment. ”
2) Umar ibn al-Khattab. He said: “I don’t care if my morning is in my desired state or not. Because, I don’t know where welfare lies; Isn’t that what I hope for? ”
So, dear Muslim brothers and sisters, there is no reason to panic if there is any danger or accident. Because things happen in our life that we don’t want but in fact, our welfare lies in it. Again many times I hope for something in which there may be some misfortune and loss waiting. None of us know about the future. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning ): “ You may not like a thing, but it is good for you. And there may be a thing which is pleasing to you and unlucky for you. Indeed, Allah knows and you do not know. [ Surat al-Baqara: 21 ]
3) Shaykhul Islam Ibn Taymiyyah. He said: “The person who prays to Allah and does not lose a patient. consults with the knowledgeable people regarding the issue and stick to it.”
May Allah grant us all the Tawfiq to do what is pleasing to Him.