In the name of Allah, the Gracious, the Merciful
1. O you who believe! Do not place your opin- ions above that of Allah and His Messenger, and fear Allah. Allah is Hearing and Know- ing.
2. O you who believe! Do not raise your voices above the voice of the Prophet, and do not speak loudly to him, as you speak loudly to one another, lest your works be in vain with- out you realizing.
3. Those who lower their voices before Allah’s Messenger—those are they whose hearts Al- lah has tested for piety. They will have for- giveness and a great reward.
4. Those who call you from behind the cham- bers—most of them do not understand.
5. Had they remained patient until you came out to them, it would have been better for them. But Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.
6. O you who believe! If a troublemaker brings you any news, investigate, lest you harm peo- ple out of ignorance, and you become regret- ful for what you have done.
7. And know that among you is the Messenger of Allah. Had he obeyed you in many things, you would have suffered hardship. But Allah has given you the love of faith, and adorned it in your hearts, and made disbelief, mis- chief, and rebellion hateful to you. These are the rightly guided.
8. A Grace and Favor from Allah. Allah is Knowing and Wise.
9. If two groups of believers fight each other, reconcile between them. But if one group ag- gresses against the other, fight the aggressing group until it complies with Allah’s com- mand. Once it has complied, reconcile be- tween them with justice, and be equitable. Al- lah loves the equitable.
10. The believers are brothers, so reconcile be- tween your brothers, and remain conscious of Allah, so that you may receive mercy.
11. O you who believe! No people shall ridicule other people, for they may be better than they. Nor shall any women ridicule other women, for they may be better than they. Nor shall you slander one another, nor shall you insult one another with names. Evil is the re- turn to wickedness after having attained faith. Whoever does not repent—these are the wrongdoers.
12. O you who believe! Avoid most suspi- cion—some suspicion is sinful. And do not spy on one another, nor backbite one an- other. Would any of you like to eat the flesh of his dead brother? You would detest it. So remain mindful of Allah. Allah is Most Re- lenting, Most Merciful.
13. O people! We created you from a male and a female, and made you races and tribes, that you may know one another. The best among you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous. Allah is All-Knowing, Well-Experienced.
14. The Desert-Arabs say, “We have believed.” Say, “You have not believed; but say, ‘We
have submitted,’ for faith has not yet entered into your hearts. But if you obey Allah and His Messenger, He will not diminish any of your deeds. Allah is Forgiving and Merciful.”
15. The believers are those who believe in Al- lah and His Messenger, and then have not doubted, and strive for Allah’s cause with their wealth and their persons. These are the sincere.
16. Say, “Are you going to teach Allah about your religion, when Allah knows everything in the heavens and the earth, and Allah is aware of all things?”
17. They regarded it a favor to you that they have submitted. Say, “Do not consider your submission a favor to me; it is Allah who has done you a favor by guiding you to the faith, if you are sincere.”
18. Allah knows the secrets of the heavens and the earth, and Allah is seeing of everything you do.