Seeking Islamic knowledge is MANDATORY upon every Muslim (male and female). Allah, Almighty, says “What! he who is obedient during hours of the night, prostrating himself and standing, takes care of the hereafter and hopes for the mercy of his Lord! Say: Are those who know and those who do not know alike? Only the men of understanding are mindful”. (Qur’an 39:9). In another place Allah, Almighty, says” And of men and beasts and cattle are various species of it likewise; those of His servants only who are possessed of knowledge fear Allah; surely Allah is Mighty, Forgiving(Qur’an 35:28)
Mu’adh ibn Jabal said that the Messenger of Allah (pbuh) said:
1. Learn Al-ILM (knowledge), for learning, is a type of Khashyah (fear) of Allah.
2. Seeking it is an act of worship.
3. Reviewing it is glorifying Allah.
4. Searching for it is a Jihad.
5. Teaching it to the ignorant is charity.
6. Delivering it to those worthy of it is an act drawing closer to Allah.
7. It is a companion in isolation and a comrade in distant lands.
8. It speaks to you in solitude.
9. It is a guide to prosperity and a shield against adversity.
10. It beautifies one among friends and is a weapon against enemies.
11. With it Allah elevates people and makes them guides and bellwethers of good.
12. The scholars are people whose words are sought and whose actions are imitated.
13. The angels long for the scholar’s company and comfort them with their wings.
14. Everything wet or dry, the fish in the sea and its creatures, the beasts of the earth,
and cattle invoke Allah to forgive them (people of knowledge)
15. It is the life of the hearts against ignorance and the lamps of the eyes against
16. It transports the servants to the mansions of the select and the righteous and to the
highest ranks in the world and in the Hereafter.
17. Contemplating it is equivalent to fasting, and reviewing it is equivalent to Salatul-
18. With it, kinship is united and the lawful is distinguished from the unlawful.
19. Knowledge is an imam which leads to righteous actions.
20. Only the happy ones are endowed with knowledge while the miserable ones are
deprived of it.
KNOWLEDGE WITHOUT PRACTICE IS INSANITY AND PRACTICE WITHOUT KNOWLEDGE IS
VANITY. (IMAM AL-GHAZALI)
P.S. Seek knowledge to practice and to pass it on to others and NOT to debate or impress others.