Why music is haram in Islam. Discussing the issue of music in Islam sounds a bit controversial. the issue of music has never been mentioned in the Quran. However, we cannot say that because Allah has not directly spoken about music, therefore it is allowed (halal) or forbidden (Haram). Because music is something that does exist in this world and Allah has not left us without guidance in such matters.
What is music?
In the description of the music, it is said that “Music is the technique of mixing sounds and voices in a pleasant way that makes the listener enjoy as well as making an internal revolution for his/her soul”.
What music does to our soul.
- Its take you away from the Quran and Allah
- The language of the music most of the time goes against the commandment of Allah.
- Music blocks your soul from listening to the Quran.
What the Quran and Hadith say about Music.
- Surah Al-Mu’minun (23-3): ”And those who turn away from Al-Laghw (dirty, false, evil vain talks, falsehood, and all that Allah has forbidden)”.
- Surah Loqman(31-6) “And of mankind is he who purchases idle talks (music, singing,etc.) to mislead(men) from the path of Allah without the knowledge and takes it (the Path of Allah) by way of mockery, for such there will be a humiliating torment”.
Bukhari (volume 7, book 69, # 494) reported in an authentic hadith (Abu Malek Al-Ashari narrated that: the Prophet (PBUH) said: “it will be from my Oumma men who will consider as Halal Al-Herra(Zinna), Al-hareer (Silk), Al-khamr(wines) and Ma-Azef (use of all kind of music or musical instruments) …. Allah will destroy them during the night and will let the mountain fall on them, and He will transform the rest of them into monkeys and pigs and they will remain so until the Day of Resurrection”.
Tirmizi (# 2212) that Anas (RA) reported that the Prophet (PBUH) said: “ In this Ummah there will be punishments of Khasf (earthquakes), Kazf (showers of stones) and Mask (deformity or transformation into animals like khinzeer/pigs)’ when the people will be involved in drinking, listening to female singers and playing musical instruments”.
Tabarani and Bayhaqi with good evidence also reported that the Prophet (PBUH) said that:” some of the signs of the Day of Judgment are when: Al-Qayenat and singers (Muslims dancers, singers, and famous stars), al-Ma-Azef (all kind of music), drinking alcoholic products and the use of silk products by men are made halal”.