Hadith about Importance Zikir in Islam Abdullah ibn Busr (may Allah be pleased with him) narrated that one of the Prophet’s Companions said, “O Messenger of Allah. I am overwhelmed by the so many injunctions of Islam. So tell me something to which I may hold fast.” The Prophet replied, “Keep your tongue wet with the remembrance of Allah.” (At Tirmidhi)
Definition of Zikir: to recite, to remember, to mention, to describe.
Terminological meaning: In the light of the Shari’ah, it is called zikir, declaring and praising Allah in the mouth or in the heart, reciting the Holy Qur’an, praying to Allah, obeying His commands and prohibitions, contemplating His blessings and creation.
Imam Nawabi Rah. He said: Zikr is not limited to Tasbeeh, Tahlil, Tahmid, and Takbeer, etc., but every performer with obedience for the sake of gaining the pleasure of Allah is considered as Zikr. A strong rope of remembrance of Allah that connects the creation with the Creator. His proximity facilitates the way to gain. Establishes people on good ideals. Keeps steadfast on the straight and right path.
For this reason, Allah has commanded the Muslims to recite the Qur’an day and night in secret and in public. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “ O you who believe! And glorify Allah morning and afternoon. ” [ Surah Al-Ahzab 4142 ] Allah also said:” You think the Lord morning and evening, gentle and whisper sasankacitte be remembered and you will not be indifferent. “ [ Surah A’raf 205 ]
Virtues and benefits of Zikir In Islam
Ibn al-Arabi said. Said: This is a big chapter where the scholars have lost their way. Because it has many benefits, said Imam Ibn al-Qayyum. In the self-written book الوابل الصيب من الكلم الطيب he has mentioned more benefits of seventy. Below are some of the details.
1. Gain peace and stability in the heart in this world and in the Hereafter: Allaah says: “Those who believe and those whose hearts are at peace in the remembrance of Allaah; Know that the remembrance of Allah calms the heart. “[Surah Ra’d: 28]
2. The greatest and best worship of the remembrance of Allah: Because remembering Allah is the real goal of worship. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And the remembrance of Allaah is the greatest. GOD is fully aware of everything you do. “[Al-Ankabut: 45] Allah says: “Allah is more reminiscent of the men and women who remember more – God has for them forgiveness and a great reward. “[Surah Al-Ahzab: 35]
Abuddarda Ra. Narrated: The Prophet peace be upon him says: ” I like the deeds will inform you about which of your prince to the good and pure, and your dignity than enhancing, and your gold and silver is given, and the enemy face to face Are you better than hitting them on the neck or they hit you on the neck? They said: Yes, O Messenger of Allah! He said: -Zikrullah (remembrance of Allah). ‘ [Tirmidhi: 3299]
3. Those who remember God, and learn from His signs: they are the ones with a clear conscience. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “And in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of day and night, there are signs for men of understanding who remember Allaah standing, sitting and lying down. … “ [Surah Al-Imran 190-191]
4. Protected fortress of Allah’s remembrance: The servant is saved from Satan by this. The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: Yahya bin Zakariya (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to the sons of Israel: ‘And I enjoin on you the remembrance of Allaah, Has done. Similarly, the servant gets protection from Satan through the remembrance of Allah. ‘[Ahmad: 2790]
5. Zikr enhances the dignity of the people in this world and in the hereafter: Narrated Abu Hurairah: TheProphet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was walking on a road in Makkah. While crossing the hill called Jumdan, he said: Come on, this is Jumdan-Mufarradun, that is, those who have advanced in a single quality. He replied: “Men and women who remember Allah more.” [Muslim: 4834]
. Zikr increases livelihood in this world and in the hereafter: Allah Ta’ala Noah a. Explaining this, he said: I said, ask forgiveness of your Lord, He is the Most Forgiving.  He will send abundant rain for you.  He will enrich you with wealth and children, and will establish for you gardens and rivers.  [Surah Nooh] Note that istighfar is considered as a special type of zikir in Islam.
Types of Zikir In Islam
It could be by Ziki’s heart, it could be by the tongue, or it could be by both at once. There are different types, some of which are mentioned below: –
1. To recite in the Qur’an: This is the word of Allah revealed to the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Because of the word of Allah, it is better to recite the Qur’an than ordinary remembrance. Narrated Abdullah bin Masood: The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said: ‘ Whoever reads a letter of the Book of Allah, a good deed is obligatory in return. And he will be given ten times the reward of a good deed. I’m not saying Alif Lam Meem is a letter but Alif is a letter, and Lam is a letter, and Meem is a letter. ‘ [Tirmidhi: 2735]
2. Oral recitation: such as recitation of Tasbeeh, Tahlil, Tahmid, and Takbeer, etc., which is proved by the Qur’an and Sunnah.
3. Prayer: This is a special dhikr because it brings one closer to Allah and fulfills the needs of this world and the hereafter.
4. Asking for forgiveness: Allaah narrated Noah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) and said: “I said, ‘Ask forgiveness of your Lord, for He is the Great Forgiver.’ “[ Surah Nooh 10 ]
5. Thinking about the creation of Allah with the heart. This is one of the biggest zikir. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “ And in the creation of the heavens and the earth, and in the alternation of day and night, there are signs for men of understanding, who remember Allah standing, sitting and lying down, and think about the creation of the heavens and the earth, and say: Our Lord! You did not create them in vain, You are holy, You save us from the punishment of fire. “[ Surah Al-Imran 190-191 ]
. Practicing various acts of worship: such as establishing Salat, paying Zakat, treating one’s parents kindly, maintaining kinship relations, acquiring knowledge, and teaching others. Because the real purpose of good deeds is to remember Allah. Allaah says (interpretation of the meaning): “ And establish prayer for My remembrance. “[ Surah Ta Ha 14 ]
Ziki is divided into two parts: –
1. General Jikir: Who has no specific time or place. There is a time to do all this Zikir at any time or place except for some special time or place.
2. Special Zikir In Islam: which is done according to the particular time, condition, and pot. Below is a brief description of some of the times, conditions, and places with which special Zikir are associated.
- Morning-afternoon: Its time is from Fajr to sunrise, from Asr to sunset.
- Time to sleep and wake up.
- When entering the house.
- Time to enter and exit the mosque.
- During illness.
- A time of danger and distress.
- During the tour.
- During the rainy season.
Some samples of Zikir In Islam
1. General Jikir: Narrated from Samura bin Jundab: He said: The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said: ‘The four most beloved words to Allah: Subhanallah, Alhamdulillah, La ilaha illallah and Allahu Akbar, can be started by anyone. “(Muslim, 3985)
2. Morning and Afternoon Remembrance: Narrated Abu Hurairah: The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said: “Whoever says Subhanallah wa Bihamdihi a hundred times in the morning and in the afternoon, whoever says this or that, no one will be able to bring anything better on the Day of Resurrection. (Sahih Muslim: 4858)
3. Narrated Abdullah Ibn Abbas: The Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, used to say in times of distress: There is no god but Allah, the Exalted in Might, the Forbearing, there is no god but Allah, the Lord of the Great Throne, The Lord, and the Lord of the earth and the Lord of the honored throne. “(Sahih Muslim 4909)
Every Muslim should regularly memorize the mentioned and unspoken necessary dhikrs for the purpose of attaining the desired virtues and promised rewards.